Charming by Elliott James.
John Charming isn’t your average Prince…
He comes from a line of Charmings — an illustrious family of dragon slayers, witch-finders and killers dating back to before the fall of Rome. Trained by a modern day version of the Knights Templar, monster hunters who have updated their methods from chainmail and crossbows to kevlar and shotguns, he was one of the best. That is — until he became the abomination the Knights were sworn to hunt.
That was a lifetime ago. Now, he tends bar under an assumed name in rural Virginia and leads a peaceful, quiet life. One that shouldn’t change just because a vampire and a blonde walked into his bar… Right?
General overview (no spoilers)
2.5 stars out of 5
I got this book from net galley in exchange for an honest review.
Okay so I only got roughly half way through this, and finding it a struggle. I feel like I am reading a textbook at some points with all the information on supernatural creatures and such like. It”s just too much, 5pages in a row with information and no story is just too much. I do not feel much connection with the characters. Why 2.5 stars then? The writing started great and when there is no info dumping it still is. The chapter titles make me smile. I will try to pick it up again and finish in a month or so, but as much as I hate to, for now that’s me done. It was feeling like a chore. The premise was great and I so wanted to love it, so I put it down with a heavy heart.
Step by Step Review
0% – Looks interesting. I have not yet read a fairytale retelling from Prince Charming’s point of view, so looking forward to this. Looks like it will have a lot of action which will keep me happy.
10% – From the first line I am in love with his writing style, there is sass and light sarcasm in it, right up my alley. I am hoping it will not keep feeling like a lesson on vampires and werewolves.
20% – It has some really clever ideas, but I still feel like I’m in class.
30% – I am beginning to find it difficult to read. It’s taking more effort than it should to keep reading, if it was not an ARC I would have given up by now.
40% – Still slogging, the storyline is good but still not loving it.
50% – It’s just much more of the same and I am stopping now. Will try and pick it up, maybe I just read too much at once, so will give it one more try in a month or so.
I am the only one that hates giving up on books? I feel like I am not being fair to the author, but when it starts to feel like a chore, I have to stop.
Until next time, happy reading bookworms.
- [New Release] Charming (Pax Arcana #1) by Elliott James (scentfragrance.wordpress.com)
- Charming by Elliott James & Valhalla Coffee Valkyrie Blend (bookandcoffeeaddict.com)
- Search for Prince Charming (birthdayinabox.com)
- Prince Charming not so Charming (eng101comics0767.wordpress.com)
- Prince Charming… Is that you? (questforahusband.wordpress.com)
- Chancery Lane, The Knights Templar (girlmeetslondon.com)
- Loving a Prince Charming (Fairy Tales & Ever Afters, #3) by Danielle Monsch (readfulthingsblog.com)
- One Crow Sorrow by Jessica MacIntyre Review (vampysramblings.wordpress.com)
- Gloria’s Secret by Nelle L’Amour – Blog Tour and Review (thebookenthusiast.net)
- Book Review: The Last Stormlord, by Glenda Larke (descentintoslushland.wordpress.com)