waterfell

Waterfell by Amalie Howard

I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE QUEEN

Nerissa Marin hides among teens in her human form, waiting for the day she can claim her birthright—the undersea kingdom stolen from her the day her father was murdered. Blending in is her best weapon—until her father’s betrayer confronts Nerissa and challenges her to a battle to the death on Nerissa’s upcoming birthday—the day she comes of age.

Amid danger and the heartbreak of her missing mother, falling for a human boy is the last thing Nerissa should do. But Lo Seavon breaches her defenses and somehow becomes the only person she can count on to help her desperate search for her mother, a prisoner of Nerissa’s mortal enemy. Is Lo the linchpin that might win Nerissa back her crown? Or will this mortal boy become the weakness that destroys her?

General Overview (no spoilers)

I found the first 50% of this book pretty bland and was considering giving up on it. I decided to carry on since it was a review copy and I hate not giving books a proper chance, also I was not hating it, just not loving it. The next 25% got a little better, was beginning to get attached more, still need something more for me though. The last 25% I loved and could not put it down. It answered any question I had and more. I did guess quite a few of the outcomes but not all.

3.5 stars out 5

Step by Step Overview (spoilers)

0% – Looks unique, yet a hint of familiarity at the same time. Really looking forward to submerging myself into this book.

10% – At this point I want to tell Nerissa that she is a spoiled little brat and needs to be kinder to Speio or it will come back on her. Does Lo know she is a mermaid?

20% – I hope they do end up back in Waterfell, I think it would be a beautiful place to read about. I think Lo is going to turn out to be a mermaid.

30% – I still think there’s something fishy about Lo. I am positive he is not who he says he is. Nerissa’s brattish attitude has not gone away, it’s quite annoying. Slow going, I thought we would be in the sea more or at least hearing more about it. Just now I feel like it’s all about a whiny young girl who is so caught up in her drama she doesn’t see what’s there.

40% – Finally getting to know a little about the Aquarathi’s history. I am actually enjoying the story more without Lo.

50% – Is Lo a spy for Ehmora, is he an Aquarathi, that can somehow hide it or half Aquarathi? Looks like the story is finally going somewhere.

60% – So one minute she thinks of Jenna as her best friend then the next she is “just a human”. I really do not like Nerissa one bit.

70% – It’s better now that it’s actually going somewhere. I am now actually interested in what’s going to happen. I thought Nerissa was supposed to have stopped being so selfish, turns out I was wrong.

80% – I like where the story is going. It was nice how there was a casualness at two females bonding, it was just accepted no questions asked. Good to see.

90% – I think Speio suspects Cara and is doing whatever he can to protect Nerissa. I think somehow she is bonded with Lo. Is Lo’s mother Ehmora?

100% – All questions have been answered and what good answers they were. The last part was very exciting and I loved it.

Who would I recommend it too?

Anyone who likes YA or mermaids (especially original ones). It is a little slow paced to begin with, so people who like fast paced books, might not enjoy it as much.

Until next time bookworms.

Advertisements